CSE 221 - Operating Systems
Lecture 1 - Intro
Checkpoints - things that we need to be familiar for this class
- What is a privileged instruction. Examples?
- Difference between system call and a function call?
- Give an example of an atomic instruction
- Difference between a semaphore and a condition variable
- Difference between hardware and software-managed TLBs
- What can happen at a memory instruction. Can the CPU directly access the cache to get the data?
- What is an inode?
Use the textbook Operating System Concept, by Silberscatz, Galvin, and Gagne if you need to brush up on OS concepts.
Objectives for the course
- Understanding system design trade-offs. Previous and modern-day systems.
- Gain experience reading research papers
- Develop intuition for what question and issues are important, which are not.
- Experience discussing research material
- Be able to express opinions and arguing points for/against design decisions.